Monday, October 6, 2008

Mackinac Bridge



Finally! I have a couple of moments to post some photos of Mike's and my trip to the UP over the Labor Day weekend. I'll start from the beginning....with the Mackinac Bridge, which connects the lower and upper peninsulas of Michigan. What many do not know is that this bridge is actually longer than the more famous Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. In fact, it is the third longest suspension bridge in the world. At 26,732 feet, it far surpasses the Golden Gate, which is 8,981 feet.

The Mackinac Bridge was opened in 1957 after three years of construction and forms a significant piece of Michigana. In fact, a photo of it is on our Michigan driver's licenses.

Here's where I got my information. First, you can visit the Mackinac Bridge website at http://www.mackinacbridge.org/ and the Golden Gate Bridge website at http://goldengatebridge.org.

No comments: