Friday, July 31, 2009

Ludington


Mike and I stayed in on the Wednesday of our vacation, as it was his birthday, and we wanted to relax. I'm now sad that I didn't take any pictures of us just lazing about and him opening his presents. Oh well. On Thursday, we headed south to Ludington to the Ludington State Park, which has some hiking trails and a historic lighthouse. We headed to the lighthouse -- the Big Sable Point Lighthouse -- first.

We climbed up the 130 steps to check out the view from the top. It's pretty nice.

Thanks to these markers, we knew where we were! :-)
I took these on the way down. On the left, you see the actual light that still shines every night on Lake Michigan, since 1867.
We eventually headed into town, got some ice cream, and headed for the public beach. We got to see the Ludington ferry coming from Wisconsin.
Look! Another lighthouse, so we had to go see it up close.
The one drawback about vacationing on our own is that we don't get that many photos of us together. I try to get some, but they all seem to be very similar. Here's my impression of a fly, with these crazy sunglasses that I ended up buying because I forgot mine (and there wasn't any sun out when we left the house).
Well, lookie here, it's the Coast Guard. From what I understand, the Coast Guard's presence on Lake Michigan was boosted somewhat after the 9/11 attacks.

No comments: